A.J. Penna & Son – Position Description
Date: November 23, 2015
Position Summary: Will perform foreman/operator work.
Position Title: Equipment Operator
Position Type: Operations
Position Level Code:
Has Reporting To It:
Reports To: Foreman
Current Incumbent: None
An Equipment Operator will perform foreman/operator work.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following but are not limited to the job specifications contained herein. Additional duties or job functions that can be performed safely may be required as deemed necessary by supervisory personnel.
In general, the Floater performs the following:
- Must be familiar with working with excavation in one or more of the following environments: WATER, SEWER, SEPTIC, ELECTRICAL and DRAINAGE.
- Must have knowledge and experience of tools and parts required to make repairs to above underground utilities.
- Operates power equipment such as excavators, backhoes and front end loaders to excavate or move dirt, rock, sand, gravel and other materials.
- Pushes levers and depresses pedals to move machine, to lower, push/pull bucket into material and to lift, swing and dump contents of shovel into truck or stockpile or to power jackhammer.
- Responsible for safe slopes on excavations and proper barricading.
- Locate utilities and other buried lines prior to digging.
- Knowledge of trenching and shoring standards.
- Inspects and maintains equipment as required.
- May drive machine to work place, lift and move materials and objects, and operate according to signals from others.
- Digs, spreads and levels dirt, gravel or sand; and, mixes, pours and spreads concrete and asphalt using hand tools.
- Performs a variety of machine and non-machine tasks such as removing forms, placing pipe in trench, jack hammering and tapping.
- Operates power equipment such as excavators, backhoes and front end loaders to excavate or move dirt, rock, sand, gravel and other materials
- Knows how to perform a water tap and knows how to diagnose and make repairs to water mains.
- Knows how to repair sewer main or has knowledge of how to repair.
- Has knowledge of electrical underground conduit installation.
- Has knowledge of drainage systems and how to perform repairs.
- Check with the site supervisor for morning schedule.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before employees of organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Be able to calculate asphalt tonnage, square yards and any other construction related measurements. Ability to perform these operations using units of American weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Must have good sense of direction. Must be able to read maps.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations and Miscellaneous Requirements
Must have a Class B driving license. Must own vehicle. Must have a form of communication.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to sit and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to rake asphalt. Must be able to hand dig.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Must be able to work emergency jobs which may entail working non-traditional hours. Must be able to work overtime as directed. Must be able to work holidays if needed. Employee will be placed on an on-call schedule which requires being on-call 24/7 for one week at least twice a month. Perhaps more if needed. Must be able to be on call 24/7 during our busy season. Also from Dec. 1st to Mar. 31st you are on call as needed. No vacation is allowed during this time.