A.J. Penna & Son – Position Description
Date: November 12, 2015
Position Summary: Will perform skilled laborer work.
Position Title: Skilled Laborer
Position Type: Operations
Position Level Code:
Has Reporting To It:
Reports To: Foreman
Current Incumbent: None
Will perform skilled laborer work.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following but are not limited to the job specifications contained herein. Additional duties or job functions that can be performed safely may be required as deemed necessary by supervisory personnel.
In general, the Skilled Laborer performs the following:
- Must be familiar with working with excavation in one or more of the following environments: WATER, SEWER, SEPTIC, ELECTRICAL, and DRAINAGE.
- Must have knowledge and experience of tools and parts required to make repairs to above underground utilities.
- Knows how to perform a water tap and knows how to diagnose and make repairs to water mains.
- Knows how to repair sewer main or has knowledge of how to repair.
- Has knowledge of electrical underground conduit installation.
- Has knowledge of drainage systems and how to perform repairs.
- Must have knowledge of paving and tools needed to pave.
- Assist foreman in all capacities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 6 to 12 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before employees of organization.
- Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s.
- Be able to calculate asphalt tonnage.
- Ability to perform these operations using units of American weight measurement, volume, and distance.
- Reasoning Ability
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Must have good sense of direction.
- Must be able to read maps.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to rake asphalt.
- Must be able to hand dig.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; extreme cold and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Must be able to work emergency jobs which may entail working non-traditional hours. Must be able to work overtime as directed. Must be able to work holidays if needed. Employee will be placed on an on-call schedule which requires being on-call 24/7 for one week at least twice a month. Perhaps more if needed.
Laborers of all levels will actively participate in all physical work activities daily. Due to the type of work and the conditions which the employees are exposed to, such as but not limited to: working in deep excavations, working with exposed and dangerous utilities (water, gas, electric), working with or near heavy equipment, exposed to vehicular traffic, working extended hours and working in extreme weather conditions, we believe that only those persons that are of clear mind and not under the influence of drugs or alcohol should be allowed to engage in this work. We believe that any person that may be under the influence poses a severe risk to themselves, their co-workers and the general public. A.J. Penna is committed to providing the highest quality of work to our clients as well as the safest possible work environment for our employees.